In Colorado, summer fruits are slowly disappearing from shelves. Rather than forcing anything off-season (we've tried and its always a fail), we are going to use our pairing posts to lean in to what is seasonally, and locally available. Because the weather is a little more brisk, we have come up with a warm pairing of roasted root vegetables that is sure to give you cozy fall vibes.
With harvest time here, we have chosen root vegetables like beets, carrots and leeks and the good news is that this pairing should be as equally as simple to make in the winter months as well. You will understand when you see these colors, they are the epitome of autumn!
Roasted Root Vegetables
* 1-2 beets
* 2 large carrots
* 1 leek
* Extra virgin olive oil
* Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Wash vegetables thoroughly. Peel beets and carrots, and trim the leek.
3. Chop the vegetables. We diced ours so that it has the appearance of bruschetta and would pile on our Flouwer Co. Artisanal Crackers, but you do you here.
4. Toss the chopped vegetables in olive oil to lightly coat and spread into an even single layer on a baking sheet.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Bake for about 18-20 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through. You may need to bake longer if your vegetables are cut into bigger pieces.
7. Transfer the roasted vegetables into a small bowl and serve immediately.
As far as cheese is concerned, we are pairing the vegetables with a Danish blue cheese that is creamy, sharp and salty. The cheese holds its own and compliments the savory roasted vegetables perfectly.
**To Serve** You may either serve the cheese on the side or dice some of it and toss it into the warm roasted vegetables for a single bowl of perfection. Flouwer Co. Artisanal Crackers are made for these moments because the herbs within, such as rosemary and chive, also come through and perfectly compliment the vegetables. Enjoy with a full-bodied Cabernet to make the absolute most of the moment.
As always, let us know what you think and if you haven’t already please sign up to receive our newsletter where we will feature our pairings, recipes, inspiration, and Flouwer Co. product information.